Pages

Our Awesome Travels

Our Awesome Travels
Taken In Quartzsite Arizona Dec 7th 2015

Monday, November 24, 2014

Warm day, doing repairs and modifications.

Where are we today ?
        Still pretty decent weather here in Willis, Texas. About 45 f overnight and a pretty sunny day temps into the mid 60's we will take that for sure.
         First thing this morning I wandered over to the huge Krogers here in Willis, pick a few bits of produce and stuff.
          Back home to putter around a bit and make a bite for lunch.
          Then a project I need to get into. Repair and modify, yep like doing that. 
          The dash on our coach is plastic. Holding our radio in place. Right beside it is our huge 50 lb CRT tv. An Antique from the 90's. But hey it still works great. From Louisiana to here yesterday we travelled some very rough roads for a while. Speed limit 65 mph and we lucky to run at 45 mph, coach shaking, dishes rattling, Tv shaking, dash shaking, teeth shaking, wow it was  brutal. We noticed that the radio in our dash was doing that too. looks like it is about to fall apart= not good.
not looking good
         So after lunch I proceeded to pull things apart.I have a plan.
plastic all broken
      I had to pull the Tv out to get at stuff and went to my spare parts bin. Some left over heavy duty aluminum that I got from Joe (thanks Joe!) at Rock Glen Resort in Ontario last summer. I made some chair supports with.
Radio out, tv, out lets get at er
        I made a cardboard template of my design. set it out on the aluminum sheeting and set to work with the jig saw and metal blade.
            Got things shaped to fit. Precise stuff ya know. Drilled the holes, file and sand it down, and painted. Put it all back together, probably better than the original, much stronger thats for sure.
almost looks original?
       That chore took up most of our afternoon. But did have time to whip up supper. A cornish hen on the Weber Q, grilled yellow peppers, and some fresh asparagus.  Even got to enjoy our e-readers outside while supper was cooking too.
our Weber doing its Job
was a very tasty meal
got to enjoy a nice sunset while, supper was cooking too
           We did have a nice relaxing and productive day today and pretty decent weather to boot. Hope yours was good too.
          Thanks again for stopping by,
Posted by George, a.k.a. "The Weber "Q" Man of Blogland" according to Rick Doyle. 
 Check out the interactive map below to see where we have been this Winter.

24 comments:

  1. Wow, very creative repair work. Kind of McGiverish. Yesterday you did porkchops and an apple on the Q. How long does the apple take to cook? I really like the apple idea!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I had to do something with the dash it was falling apart and the radio falling out. This will be stronger than the original now.
      The apple I did not time it maybe 15-20 minutes? I cored it and sprinkled some cinnamon inside, turned a few times until done but now mush.

      Delete
  2. Always a project in the works, eh? Now that was an interesting sunset.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. When a house is 15 years old things do need fixing, thats expected. We just wait for the next issue to pop up now.
      It was a very interesting sunset.

      Delete
  3. Good thing you're handy, George! And you like fixing things. :) Beautiful sunset for sure and the cornish hen looks yummy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If you live in an Rv it helps to be handy, we are retired and do have the time.. We love the cornish hens on the Q.

      Delete
  4. When the weather is nice we all get a little ambitious. You had a great idea with fixing the radio from falling out on those bumpy roads. We certainly know what you mean when you say everything inside starts to rattle.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That section of road was brutal. Needed to do something with our dash, it has bee cracking for a while.

      Delete
  5. I really hate those rough roads especially with 110# tire pressure in the coach - we now totally avoid Arkansas because of their roads and Louisiana is rated bad as well. Nice job on the repair and supper.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There is some roads that we will not taken again and that is one of them.
      Repairs need to be done and not really into replacing the whole dash.

      Delete
  6. Cool idea for repairs! Well done! Your cornish hen looks yummy!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I found that when I replaced the stock radio in our motorhome (it had a tape deck, seriously?) the darned thing was NOT supported very well at all. I ended up using a couple pieces of "all round", you know, for plumbing? Had to find a couple spots near the inside top where I wouldn't come out through the top of the dash. That was a challenge.
    Didn't rattle around at all after that. Hope your repair does the trick.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There is a support back there, going to look at it today, before reinstalling the TV. Now if I could only successfully support the TV all would be good.

      Delete
  8. Another great job!

    Paul hates doing "little" jobs. He says....I start a "little" job, end up pulling every tool I have out. What would I know...I am a woman.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Marsha.
      I am the same every job I do I end up getting all my tools out as well, at least I have most of the tools.

      Delete
  9. What a great idea on how to repair the radio. I can't believe how nice and professional it looks.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jan just took my time trying to get it right.

      Delete
  10. Great job on the repair, George! It looks custom!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I miss a few days and you're all the way to Texas! Good job on repairing the radio, Geroge - more than just a pretty face, i guess.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha, ha thanks Rick. I do like to fix and modify things if I can. We just moving along.

      Delete
  12. You have a well stocked spare parts bin. Amazing what you can do with the things in it! ;c)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have some parts that I just don't throw out, if I have room I will keep them and eventually get used.

      Delete

We love it when you take the time to drop us a line.